Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Clarification of ATO Blog Post



I want to apologize for insinuating that rape or physical assault should be kept secret in my blog about the ATO chapter getting caught for their inappropriate emails.

This was not my intent. My intent was to highlight how college students get in trouble for underage drinking and other illegal activities, such as smoking marijuana. This behavior is a lot more common among American universities and in my personal opinion, is not a big deal if it is contained in a controlled environment.

I have had friends that have been raped and it is unbelievable how scary and mentally damaging it can be for them and their families. I wouldn't wish that upon anyone, and I honestly believe that it should be reported in every case. I will continue to fight against rape in any way I can and will report it to the police if I hear about it from anyone I know.

If you'd like to donate to RAINN (Rape, Abuse and Incest National Network) please do so at https://donate.rainn.org/. I will also personally make a donation to the program, and I hope that you will consider giving something to them as well.

I think RAINN said it best when talking about "rape culture".

"In the last few years, there has been an unfortunate trend towards blaming “rape culture” for the extensive problem of sexual violence on campus. While it is helpful to point out the systemic barriers to addressing the problem, it is important not to lose sight of a simple fact: Rape is caused not by cultural factors but by the conscious decisions, of a small percentage of the community, to commit a violent crime."

-Quote in Time

Thank you for reading FriendTopia,

Friend

No comments:

Post a Comment